Thursday, May 13, 2010
Okay, my finished bag is about 13" wide x 10" tall.
1. I made my foundation chain and then joined it to create a ring. I crocheted 6 rows of hdc working in the round using a cream color.
2. I also chose 5 colors of beads to add to the bag, so at this point I added one row of hdc in 4 of the bead colors,
3. I then worked 5 rows of hdc in the cream color.
4. The next row is where I started to add my beads and I worked 3 hdc between beads.
5. I worked 4 more cream rows then another row of beads.
6. Then 5 rows of hdc in the cream color.
7. Work one row of Shells, then add a row of edging at the top of the shells.
8. 5 more rows of hdc in the cream color, and 1 row of hdc in red.
9. What you should have now is a big crocheted tube. Now you can crochet the bag closed at the bottom and add crocheted handles plus the bag closure of your choice.
10. The way I finished mine. Handles-- Fabric cut 4" wide x 30" long, Bag Lining--measure the length and width of your bag remembering to add 1" to that measurement. 1/2" to form hem at the top and 1/2" for the hem at the bottom. Cut 2 pieces for the lining, sew the ends together to also form a tube that should match the bag tube.
11. Take the handle fabric pieces and fold both outer edges to meet in the center, then fold one more time to the center which will enclose all the raw edges. I stitched down each outside edge of the handles to form them.
12. Pin the handles onto the bag in your place of choice leaving about 1" of handle to be inside the lining. Now take your lining and place it into the bag pinning it in place. I stitched around the top and bottom with my sewing machine. Now working from the inside I pinned the bottom edge closed and sewed it shut. To form the boxed edge shape I turned the bag wrong side out, pinched the bottom corners flat and sewed across the triangle ends.
Turn it right side out and push the corners out to form a squared bottom. Guess what You're through!!
I know this isn't the best instructions and I would have better ones if I had written them while I still had the bag. A big DUH on me!!
Posted by Molly at 3:01 PM